Chartered by Congress in 1919, the American Legion is an organization devoted to mutual helpfulness. It is committed to mentoring youth and sponsorship of wholesome programs in our communities, advocating patriotism and honor, promoting strong national security, and continued devotion to our fellow servicemembers and veterans.
American Legion Post 1799, named after the year of the chartering of the Town of Haymarket, was established in 2005 to serve the veterans of our community and provide voluntary service to other community groups. Membership is open to currently active, as well as all honorably discharged former members of the US military who have served during wartime.
Over the past two years Post 1799 has provided a number of services to the Haymarket-Gainesville community including:
• Awards for excellence in scholastic and military achievement to Battlefield High School Air Force Junior ROTC cadets
• Volunteer veterans who share their experience with AF-JROTC classes
• Scholarships for four boys and three girls from Battlefield High School to attend Boys State and Girls State annual week-long civics and leadership programs at Radford and Longwood Universities
• Assisting 25 veterans with Veterans Administration claims processing
• Providing donations to the Haymarket Gainesville Community Library
• Facilitating a grant of $10,000 from The American Legion Operation Comfort Warriors program to support wounded and disabled veterans and their families at the Serve our Willing Warriors Warrior Retreat at Bull Run in Haymarket
• Providing active volunteers, flags, computers, donations, and voluntary service to the Serve our Willing Warriors Warrior Retreat at Bull Run in Haymarket
• Organizing a bi-annual American Red Cross blood drive
• Participating in the annual Haymarket Day parade
• Maintaining a section of Route 15 in Haymarket under the VDOT Adopt-a-Highway Program.
We invite those meeting eligibility requirements to join our Post by visiting us on the web at http://alpost1799.org, on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/alpost1799/ or by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org