- 5 or so pound brisket; brined 7-10 days
- 2 heads green
cabbage (or try Brussel sprouts for a something different)
- 5 pounds red potatoes, quartered
- Mustard seed
- Caraway seed
- Whole cloves
- Bay leaves
- Kosher salt and pepper
1. Put brisket in biggest stock pot you have,
2. Cover with about an inch of water, add salt and bay leaves. Cook on medium low heat, about 45 minutes per pound.
3. With about an hour left to cook, add spices and seasonings to taste.
4. Add potatoes during the last 30-40 minutes, then cabbage according to desired firmness.
5. Slice finished brisket across the grain, arrange with cabbage and potatoes on plate. Drape with additional stock. Serve with whole grain mustard, brown bread, salted butter.
By Casey Ward,
Owner, Molly’s Irish Pub