Photo by Kara Thorpe
Courtesy of Haute Cakes Pastry Shop, Warrenton
Yield: about 15 sandwiched cookies
For a printable recipe, click here.
- 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. gel or powder food coloring of your choice, if desired (liquid food color will ruin the consistency)
- Decorative sprinkles, if desired
- Preheat the oven to 315 degrees.
- Whip egg whites with an electric mixer until soft peaks form (about 2-3 minutes).
- Add granulated sugar, vanilla, and food coloring (if desired) and whip until medium peaks form (about 1 minute).
- Sift almond flour and confectioners sugar together. Do this twice to ensure a smooth batter.
- Fold dry mix into egg whites gently by hand, slowly combining the mixtures until a “lava like” consistency is reached. Do not overmix.
- Using a pastry piping bag with a ½” round tip, pipe batter onto parchment paper on a cookie sheet in consistent 1.5” circles.
- Tap the cookie sheet on the counter 2-3 times to release air bubbles in the batter.
- Allow to rest for 20-30 minutes until a skin is formed on each cookie.
- Sprinkle with decorative sprinkles, if desired.
- Bake at 315 degrees for 12 minutes.
- Allow to cool fully before removing from parchment
- Fill with chocolate ganache or your favorite filling (buttercream, chocolate ganache, berries, preserves, curd, your imagination is the limit) and form sandwiches.
- 2 cups chocolate chips or semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Heat heavy cream until just boiling.
- Pour over chocolate and let sit 5 minutes until the chocolate melts.
- Whisk the mixture until it looks glossy.
- Cover and let sit for 3 hours until firm.
French Macarons keep about 2-4 days.
Haute Cakes Pastry Shop is a boutique wedding & event bakery located at 7 North 5th St. in Old Town Warrenton operated by Megan Nagel and Marisa Ward. Started in 2014 out of Megan’s kitchen, they opened their storefront this year. Megan says, “For me, cake is love. I love the process of making cake because it is a perfect combination of creative license and attention to detail. From start to finish, each cake is hand-crafted as a unique, original piece of pastry art… and in the end, I’ve added a bit of beauty to the world, and hopefully given others a happy memory and a reason to smile.” www.hautecakespastryshop.com