By Mille Baldwin, Eloise’s Pastries
Last week we had a gentleman come in to the office and request a copy of an old issue of Warrenton Lifestyle. He wanted the recipe for eggnog that was published in our December 2015 issue, and he said it was the best eggnog he’d ever tasted. So, since Christmas is coming, We decided to share it with you online. Let us know how you like it!
Yield: Makes about 1/2 gallon or one good full punch bowl’s worth
6 fresh eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
11/2 tablespoons rum extract
11/2 tablespoons vanilla
1 pint (16 oz.) heavy cream
1 pint (16 oz.) fresh, whole milk (organic tastes best, if possible)
Leave out the vanilla.
Add 2 tablespoons of rum and 2 tablespoons of bourbon
More alcohol can be added afterward by taste.
- Beat the 6 egg yolks until foamy.
- In another bowl, beat the six egg whites adding the sugar slowly as the whites begin to become opaque and stiffen a bit.
- Next, add beaten yolks to the egg white mixture. Beat again thoroughly.
- Mix in rum and vanilla or whiskey at this point.
- Finally, add cream and milk. Mix well one last time and serve.
- Sprinkle the top of the glass with a little nutmeg for the perfect finish!
Mille Baldwin is the owner of Eloise’s Pastries, an heirloom bakery located in Warrenton, VA, where she is licensed and insured to operate from her home as she also cares for her adult quadriplegic daughter. When not running the bakery, Mille divides her time between her dogs and being with her daughters.